Saturday, February 1, 2014

Sherlock the TV Show

Ever since I started writing as I watch TV shows I have a new appreciation for the writing. Just yesterday I started watching Sherlock, something I wish I had done a long time ago. The show is amazing for anyone who hasn't seen it or thinks they will not like it. The episodes are each about an hour and twenty minutes, so about the length of a short movie.
The way these episodes are written are what really intrigues me. Though I have only seen two episodes so far I can tell that there is an overlaying plot (one that arches over all of the the episodes) as well as a smaller plot in each episode. Now I'm not sure but I would think that all of the episodes would have to be written out in advance, so that this overlaying plot can flow smoothly.
If you have ever seen Sherlock than you know what I mean when I talk about Sherlock deducing things. So far I have seen it the most in Season 1 Episode 1 but just by looking at something he can see pretty much the whole life story of the person or the situation he is looking at. It would be quite an honor to meet Sherlock Holmes but I'm not sure if I'd want him deducing me. :) Either way this brings me back to the writers of the show. They seem to write so as the show goes along it seems like nothing fits together but then towards the end we begin to see how it all works out. Unless you've seen the show you can't understand what I mean but if you're a writer than you definitely want this show on your radar!

Writing Tip: If you're experiencing writer's block write out a few pages of your favorite book.

 

Alysa Tarrant

No comments:

Post a Comment