Saturday, March 29, 2014

The Snowflake Method: Part 2

I know that I have posted about the snowflake method before, but that was before I had really used it. Now, as I am preparing for Camp Nanowrimo (which I probably should have prepared for earlier) I have found myself turning to the snowflake method as I sit staring at my computer screen. Let me rephrase that, blank, computer screen.

Let me tell you a story.

You are sitting in a chair one day, pondering life, when suddenly, you could swear that a light bulb went off above your head! You have an idea for a story. This is the one, the idea that will make you as famous as J. K. Rowling and Suzanne Collins. This is the idea that will make you a billionaire and get you a movie series.

You pull out a piece of paper to write down your idea. It's just an idea right now, but you are going to turn it into a book that will be translated into fifty-five different languages.

You start to write an outline. That's when it hits you. You have an idea. That's it. Just an idea. Now, you need a story. That's the hard part.

That's the story. We have all done it. We have all had a fabulous idea and then realized that that's all it was. But I am here to help! Or more, the snowflake method as designed by Randy Ingermanson. I was in the same position as you were in the story above. I decided I might as well go look at that snowflake method since I didn't have a better idea than to just stare at the paper until inspiration struck.

Snowflake method it is! I have found it very helpful in the sense that I discovered things about my characters I didn't know before, it really made me think. So the point of this post is: If you're stuck, try the snow flake method. 

Alysa Tarrant 

No comments:

Post a Comment