Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Procrastination Stage and the Carrie Diaries

So per my usually weekend habits I was catching up on the Carrie Diaries instead of doing something more productive. On one of the episodes Carrie had to write a paper and she didn't know what to write about. She also decided to procrastinate (and I'm making this show sound much more cliche than it is, I highly recommend this show). Her boyfriend called this the procrastination stage and said that all good writers have one.

It begs an interesting question. Someone famous (I have no idea who) once said that good things come to those who wait. In my opinion that is very untrue. Good things come to those who work their butts off! Hence, I disagree with Carrie's boyfriend. You don't have to procrastinate to be a writer, you do have to take breaks though. But you have to set guidelines for yourself. Say to yourself, "This week I will not work on or think about my writing at all. Next week though I will write another chapter though."

Carrie's boyfriend also said something about writing about what you fear. This advice I do agree with. When you find something that scares you or makes you uncomfortable write about that or use that in your writing. Every character needs a fear that they must overcome. For me this is the hardest part about writing a novel. You have to find their fear and use it against them. Only when you overcome that fear, can they overcome their fear.

And since this post seems to be all over the place I'd like to share a little tip with you. I have found that setting timers really helps me. For example: I want to watch Netflix, edit other people's stories, and work on my own story all at once, but that gets me no where except to my next episode on Netflix. So what I like to do (when I actually have the motivation) is to set a timer for 15 minutes. I tell myself: for this 15 minutes I will watch TV and then for the next 15 minutes I will work on this, and then this and so on an so forth. Sure, you could just look at the clock but a timer (at least for me) makes me work harder, I'm on a schedule.

Question: What scares you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment